About - Institute for Democratic & Economic Affairz (IDEAz)
- “This Country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in, unless we make it reasonably good place for all of us to live in”. - Theodore Roosevelt - President U.S.A. .
- “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people (gossip)” – T. T. Rangarajan (Ra)
- “We have it in our power to begin the world over again” – Thomas Paine
- “Think Big, Think Fast, Think Ahead. Ideas are no one’s monopoly” – Dhirubhai Ambani
- Democracy is a method of Government “OF the PEOPLE” for “ALL the PEOPLE” (Not a dictatorship of the majority nor appeasement of any minority, but with an understanding of the interests of all).
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
Democracy may not be the ideal method of Government, but it is definitely far superior to any of the alternatives.
“Democracy does not guarantee equality of condition… it only guarantees equality (of consideration and) of opportunity.” - John Dryden .
- Economic reasons underlie all choices, excluding emotional ones, that one makes in life, and one needs to live in a Democracy to be able to exercise and implement one’s choices freely.
- Hence understanding true Democracy and practical Economics is essential to arrive at the optimum solution to any problem…
“In this information age… correct information is a key resource… the first step… is filtering. Filter the information; extract the knowledge. Filter 1 st for substance, then for significance to protect against (propaganda) advertising. Filter 3 rd for reliability – this protects against (the populism of) Politicians & (the exaggeration and sensationalism of the) Media.” - Marc Stiegler .
Though deemed the best at that time, rulers / politicians will always be flawed (never perfect) and problems in their functioning are inevitable. Hence, as David Deutsch recommends in his ‘The Beginning of Infinity’, it is necessary that they should not only allow, but even encourage, criticism and issue based opposition of themselves and of their policies and of everything else.
“Instead of looking upon discussion as a stumbling block on the way of action, we think it an indispensible preliminary to any wise action at all” - Pericles (circa 431 BCE).
Good Democratic Governments, Institutions, and their officials and policies, should also embody traditions that, when necessary, in view of the increasing capabilities and understanding arising from ever growing knowledge and also due to ever increasing and newer resources (Wealth), enable the removal of bad rulers / politicians and restructuring or elimination of bad policies, without violence - through well thought out electoral policies, fair and effective elections, and ways to disqualify and even recall those unfit.
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” - Arthur Schopenhauer .
Hence the necessity of looking at a problem from a new mental perspective to loft you past